Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's Time!

Time to cast our votes!  Time to rid ourselves of terrible political ads!  I hope and pray that everyone gets out to vote today.  Yes, the current ballot is a little discouraging…but can you honestly think of one President that this country has had that you would wholeheartedly endorse?  Actually, I'd like an answer to that one :).

For me, the most important issue on the ballot is not the Presidential election.  Yes, I dread the thought of Obama being re-elected, but you have to admit the last four years have at least started to give the bishops a backbone again.  If our votes can't stop the persecution, than maybe our suffering will strengthen the Church.  That is usually how it works, anyhow.  I can only pray we will have the grace to persevere in our faith.

No, for me the really important vote is the vote for the Minnesota Marriage Amendment.  I hope my state has the clear-sightedness to realize that this vote is not against people.  It is not about limiting the "rights" of a (very small) group of people.  It is about promoting the true definition and purpose of marriage.  That purpose is creating a stable environment for the upbringing of children.  We've already seen that environment damaged by the ease with which marriage can be destroyed through divorce, and by the effects of contraception and abortion, both which serve to separate children from marriage.  And we have seen the devastating effects of the deterioration of the home and family being reflected in society.  For as the family goes, so does society.

Allowing for gay "marriage" will not strengthen marriage, because one of the primary ends - and the only end that truly benefits the state - is missing.  It takes a male and a female to produce offspring.  That is biology 101.  Unless you are a worm, but we are not worms, and our bodies don't work that way.  People scream "discrimination" when we suggest that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.  Yes, I am discriminating.  But I'm not afraid of gays, nor do I hate them.  I do consider homosexual actions sinful, and against both natural law and God's laws, but that is not why I believe so strongly in maintaining that marriage is between one man and one woman.  I believe that marriage is only to be between one man and one woman because it is the only way that the purpose of marriage can be fulfilled.  And I very, very strongly believe that the only reason that the state should be involved in any relationship is because it is necessary for the good of society.  Otherwise, they can keep their pretty little nose out of it.  So the only reason the state should be involved in marriage is because of kids.  End of story.

So today I will vote "Yes" for marriage.  And I leave the rest in the hands of my King….

1 comment:

  1. And in case you were one of the first three people to view this post, I corrected the typo in the fourth paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete