Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some questions to ponder.....


  I consider myself a fairly practical person.  I like things to make sense, plain and simple.  I think things should be logical and straightforward.  I believe there is a such thing as truth, and therefor a such thing as right and wrong.  I realize that truth can be hard to recognize, of course, and I suppose we need to try to predict the future to decide what to do today sometimes, like when planning a picnic or a budget.  But somehow it seems like there is so little that is logical in the world today. And I don't want EVERYTHING to make perfect sense, but for the most part...
  I was on youtube, hoping to find some inspiring videos for a great “fortnight for freedom” post.  Granted, I was probably looking in the wrong direction ( I should have started with this one,) starting with Bob Hope’s Zombie Democrat line (I thought maybe I could do something great with the whole zombie apocalypse thing,) but regardless, what I found was discouraging.  Not so much the videos - there were some wise words and all - but the comments!  Is it possible to have a logical discussion anymore, without foul language and making assumptions about people’s opinions?  I suppose when we consider truth to be something we can decide instead of something that just IS, that would be the result.  Ooops!  Maybe I’m making some assumptions now!  The fact is, I consider truth to be something outside of not only myself, but the universe.  As such, it can’t change based on what is going on here in our little country or world.  But I realize that it can be hard to recognize, especially if we aren’t taught to recognize its existence, let alone how to recognize it.  I believe that truth follows the rules of reason and logic, even if it doesn’t always seem to follow the rules of nature.  Now am I wrong?  Am I wrong to want to fight the errors and evils of this world with logic and reason and truth, when everyone else is using emotions and appearances?  Something to ponder.  Here are a few more things to ponder.  They really aren’t necessarily connected, they are just things that I wonder about.

  • If we are a nation governed by elected officials, should the government be involved in the training of the next generation of voters, or is that a conflict of interests?

  • Is the idea of evolution compatible with the idea that all races are equal?  Wouldn’t evolution be grounds to say that some races are inferior to others? 

  • If I am not allowed to tell you what to do with your body, why are you allowed to use my money to do it?  If I can’t tell you what you have to accept, why are you allowed to tell me what I have to accept?  

  • Why doesn’t the government have to budget the same way a house or business does, (money in money out)?  If I start printing money, can I pay my bills with it?  Can I pay my taxes with it?  

What questions do you ponder?  Got any good answers?  Do share!

3 comments:

  1. I believe truth is like that fable about the three blind men and the elephant. Everyone can feel/see? a small piece of truth and make assumptions on the little bit they have access to... it takes time and experience for people to discover the entire elephant. And some people are happy with the tail and have no desire to discover more truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true! And sometimes truth is that elephant in the room nobody wants to mention....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the reason you have trouble changing the world with logic is because people are not taught think logically in school. You have to teach people how to process and use logical arguments before you can have any kind of productive debate. If you can't have a debate then all you have is an argument, and that is not the same thing at all.

    ReplyDelete