Friday, June 15, 2012

Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Okay!  I give up! I shall surrender my recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  You may recall that I was holding it for ransom last spring, in hopes of gaining a few more followers.  No such luck.  Ah well, that's what I get for such underhanded schemes.
I really have no right to say that this is the best Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe ever, because I invented it, therefor I am extremely biased.  But tell me, do you really get all the strawberry-goodness you want when you cook strawberries?  I didn't think so.  Strawberries are best fresh.  The fresher the better.  So in my pie, I do not cook them, I use them in their fresh, natural state as a sweet and juicy topping to a delicious rhubarb pie.  Enjoy!


Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Rhubarb Layer:
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
4 c. diced rhubarb
1 9” deep dish or 10” unbaked pie crust
1/2 c. cream
Preheat oven to 425º F.  Combine sugar, flour, and salt.  Add rhubarb and stir to coat evenly.  Pour into pie crust. Pour cream on top.  Bake for 10 minutes at 435º.  Reduce heat to 375º and bake for 35 minutes longer or until crust is done and rhubarb is tender.  Cool. Chill if not serving same day.
Strawberry Glaze:
2 1/2 c. fresh strawberries, cleaned and halved divided
1/3 c. water
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
Combine 1/2 c. strawberries and water in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.  Add water if needed to make 3/4 c. total puree.  Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.  Add in pureed berries and cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.  Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Cool without stirring.  Add to remaining 2 cups of berries.  Chill. Arrange strawberries over cooled rhubarb pie, preferably just before serving. Chill leftovers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment