Thursday, May 19, 2011

Reflections on nothing....

Sorry, I have spent the WHOLE day on the computer, and did nothing for my poor, neglected, blog.  Funny how good intentions can get you nowhere if they aren't followed by actual action.  Actually, today I was following up on good intentions- I am actually building our website for Windy Hills :) .  And I am enjoying it, as frustrating as it can be at times.  I'm trying to get my tuition's worth out of that web design class I took my first semester of college.  I could go the easy way and use a template from somewhere, but I REALLY don't want to pay for it.  So I'm doing it myself.  For the most part, I'm remembering all the technical bits.  It's the actual design that's giving me problems.  I want it to look good, not cheap.  So that's been my day. 
In other news, I finished The Rogue Crew last night (sniff.)  Excellent writing, as usual.  We preordered it from Amazon, so we got it the day it was released, but my dad got to read it first.  
This is the last book in the Redwall series. It has the usual mix of vermin, peaceful creatures, warriors, and headstrong young critters.  Once again, we have characters to cheer for, and to cry over.  One of my favorite aspects of the Redwall series is the way Dr. Jacques was not afraid to kill off key characters- it keeps you in suspense. There are also all the wonderful accents that make the Redwall books so much fun- especially a north-country hare's scottish sounding speech.  I admit I skipped through many of the poems and ditties, knowing how many of my family members are waiting to read the book.  I don't think there were any riddles in this one, which will forever prevent the tale falling into my top three list.  There also was not enough food to keep me happy- but there were still quite a few dishes mentioned that I wanted to try!  
Dr. Jacques passed away earlier this year, so it is likely that this really is the last book in the series, but I know that his wonderful books will keep him memory alive for many years to come, as C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Arthur Ransom, and so many others have continued to live and be loved by so many generations.       

No comments:

Post a Comment