Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Holy Week and Easter Triduum

It's finally here!  Holy Week!  In four more days I can have a piece of chocolate!  Ok, so that isn't what Easter is about, or what Lent is about...but I admit it crosses my mind now and then.
I love Lent, because it is challenging.  It makes me do those things I should do, yet don't want to do.  Or it makes me not do the things I want to.  Self-denial, that's what it's all about.  By self-denial, we better learn to die to ourselves in favor of living for God.  I don't know if I have done well this year or not.  My sacrifices have not been my typical ones, and I admit I have failed often in them, especially in these last few weeks.  It seems there are always excuses.  The old things like giving up candy and tv are easy.  Inconvenient, and uncomfortable, but easy.  It's the other things that are more difficult.  Yet it is the difficulties that make Easter even more joyful.  As our souls rejoice at the Resurrection of Christ, our bodies rejoice at the Resurrection of Chocolate.   
My family is blessed to be a part of a parish that has the Easter Triduum celebrated in the Extraordinary Form.  Each of the three services, Holy Thursday Mass, Good Friday's Mass of the Presanctified, and Holy Saturday's Easter Vigil, are so rich in meaning and in ceremony.  Each seems to contribute so much to the sense of Christ's suffering, the emptiness of a world without Christ, and, of course, the triumph of Easter.  I can't wait!  This will actually be my first year in a number of years when I have not been part of the choir for these services.  I was initially disappointed, because I love to sing, but now I am looking forward to it because I will have more time to pray and to focus on what is going on.
I hope to be able for the next three days with more details of each, but please realize that it is Holy Week, so I also have lots of cooking and cleaning to help with as well.  I also have just THREE more weeks of school (Wahooooo!!!) so I can't start slacking on that, either.  In any and all cases, have a Blessed Holy Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment