Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Adoro te Devote: I Am the Dog, Baby

Here is an interesting -- and relevant -- rant by an excellent blogger:
Adoro te Devote: I Am the Dog, Baby

I go back and forth with facebook. Sometimes, I really enjoy it. I have a few friends who are excellent posters. They post the funny little events and details in their lives, and give me a glimpse into a world outside my own. They bring a smile on a dreary day, and I am thankful for that. But facebook, and other social networks, have a dark side, too.
The downside of facebook is the ease with which a person can hurt another person. Sometimes this is done intentionally, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the hurt seems to be the fact that so-and-so found out on facebook. Big news or small, complaint or triumph, I have seen many people post things that they should have told people personally (whether that be phone, email, letter, or face-to-face) instead of blabbing it to everyone on their friends list. I have been guilty this myself. You get caught up in the moment and it doesn't take long to hit that post button. Sometimes my home feed feels more like a supermarket tabloid because of this! Then, we see it on facebook, and have to comment. Pretty soon we are sure we know the whole story. It's like a party line with hundreds of people listening in, yet so many don't seem to care.
I like the way people are able to connect on facebook, I really do. I like the way great aunt Mary can watch little Joe take his first steps and how cousin Len in Australia can see all the pictures from the Christmas party hours after. I like how I can pray for friends who I know need it, and I like how the words of wisdom from a three-year-old can be passed on to hundreds who need to hear them. But these are only good things if we remember to stay closer to those who are closer to us. Pick up the phone and CALL your mom, your sister, and your best friend. Then think about posting it, and remember that EVERYONE is listening in.

No comments:

Post a Comment