Sunday, April 18, 2010

Puppies!!!

I had hoped to post this MUCH sooner, but it's been such a crazy week between papers and tests and taking care of the new family, it just didn't happen.  Last Sunday, our Golden Retriever, Dutchess, had puppies!
She started out under the porch, but after the first two we had to move her to the house because it was getting cold.
Charlie, our Newfoundland daddy, was pretty proud when he heard the news.
By 8:30 pm, there were six little black puppies, and we thought she was done.
But when I checked them at 11, there were 2 more, and an hour later she had a total of nine.  By that time I didn't care if there would be more or not, I was going to bed.  Sure enough, woke up Monday morning to find a total of 10 puppies waiting for me!
We lost one the second day, so we're back down to 9, but the rest seem pretty healthy.
We've had to split them into two shifts, so Dutchie will have enough milk-- and room!
They're sweet.  We have different colored ribbons on them, so we can keep track of who's who.
I'll try to keep posting pictures.  If anyone wants one, let me know.  They are a hybrid of purebreds, and if they are anything like the last batch, they are the sweetest pups imaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment